It's not just the online payday loan industry where scammers have been found. ATM machines have had their share of dealings with crooks and fraudulent activity. There is so much reported on password protection, that the thieves have evolved their tactics to hidden devices which will capture your card information on a magnetic strip. This information will then be used to obtain funds fraudulently from your account.
It is not just happening with ATM machines which are set up at remote locations, but those within the bank lobby as well. Hidden devices capture the information found on the magnetic strips. This gives the crooks access to encoded account information which gives them access to your money. There are not enough banks and gas stations doing enough to protect customers' information.
The is no guarantee that following these suggestions will ensure a safe transaction, but it definitely will lower the chances of an individual's information being stolen.
* Check out the machine. Examine the outside for loose components, especially around the area that the cards slide into and the one surrounding the key pad. If the plastic colors vary in these areas, which might suggest the parts were tampered with, be leery about using the machine.
* Don't assume that just because you are in safe area, that the machine must be fine. Take the time to check it out.
* Tiny hidden cameras can be placed in and around the machine by the crooks. The cameras are aimed to get your PIN number. Be safe; use your other hand to cover the area as you enter your PIN.
* If your card gets jammed or does not slide in and out smoothly, it could be that a scammer has tampered with the machine. If this happens, stop the transaction from going any further. The last thing you want to do is give more information to the crook.
* Be careful at gas pumps. If you have the option of using your card as a credit card, do so. There are more laws protecting credit card fraud than debit cards.
* Check your bank account often. Contact your banker if you see any fraudulent activity.
Direct online payday loan companies work diligently to improve their systems in order to keep the scammers out; secure web addresses for sending information, customers have their own login information and passwords. When filling out information on the web, make sure that there is an "s" after the http which will let you know that the page you are filling your personal information on is secure.
One big tip for a customer who is looking for an online payday loan is to call the company before sending your information. Some websites have numbers on their site which are not connected to a working line. This is a bad sign. Some phone numbers ring and ring, even during business hours. A responsible low cost payday loan company will have people on the other end answering calls during business hours in order to provide answers to any questions or concerns. Don't forget to look for https on the pages which you enter your information. This is a golden rule to any online website. You want to keep your information safe and secure.